Vehicle owners of cars that are brand new generally don’t need to have an MOT in the first three years after purchase. However, that is not the case with servicing and maintaining your car throughout the year. And the importance of doing so comes of what we’ve covered below.
In this article, we will talk about the many benefits of maintaining your vehicle. The most prominent benefit is that you reduce risks on the roads. Ready to find out what the other benefits are.
How important is an annual car service?
Many car owners wonder what are the benefits of yearly car maintenance. After all, if they undertake a Ministry of Transport (MOT) testing, as required by law, isn’t this enough? Unfortunately, the answer is “no” and there are several reasons why. Here are just some of the benefits of servicing your car at least once a year.
- Ensure driving safety on the roads: one of the most fundamental reasons behind having your car serviced regularly is to ensure that you and your vehicle do not cause harm to other road users. The quicker a car issue is identified and rectified, the safer it will be for others on the roads.
- Maintain its warranty: since new vehicles have a manufacturer’s warranty, owners need to maintain their vehicles in good working condition by having services done on their vehicles at regular intervals as indicated by the manufacturer. If this is not done, the chances of having your warranty invalidated are extremely high. And this could be costly for you in the future.
- Prolong the engine’s life: another reason to consider having your car serviced annually is to keep the engine running smoothly. Remember that engine checks fall outside the scope of an MOT test and that generally, by design, they need regular maintenance. This may include having the oil and filters changed on a regular basis.
- Preserve the value and lifespan of your car: whether you are planning on selling your car in the future or you’d like to continue driving it, a regular service also means that you will be preserving, protecting and even increasing its value over the long term. A well-maintained vehicle is easier to re-sell and it’s also going to last you longer as an owner-driver.
- Circumvent larger problems: because our technicians are experts at car services, they will also be able to identify issues, which may be small now, but which would turn out to be much bigger, more difficult and costlier to resolve in the future. In essence, servicing your car annually will help ensure that you get early warning signs of potential issues.
- Reduce the running costs of your car: by taking small, yet regular steps to have your car serviced regularly, you’ll reduce its overall running costs in the long term. This means catching any issues early on and doing so before they culminate into something much costlier. For example, one aspect of regular car servicing that can help reduce the running costs of your car is increased fuel economy.
- Reduce the risk of breakdowns: we never know when our car will simply sputter out some air and simply break down while we’re on the road. This is why regular car maintenance is important – to reduce the occurrence of such events. Although it’s not always possible to fully prevent them, by taking steps now, you can ensure that you reduce your chances of getting stranded on the side of the road.
How often should a car be serviced in the UK?
Unless you’re driving an old classic, the chances are that the car you own is relatively new (at least a couple of years). As such, these modern vehicles will generally have a self-diagnostic system. The purpose of this is to alert you when a service is due.
However, if you don’t have such a system, then you can check your manufacturer’s recommended servicing schedule. And if all things fail, the general rule of thumb is to have your car serviced every year or every 10,000-12,000 miles, whichever comes first.
After your car has been serviced, be sure to have your service logbook stamped and keep the receipt. This will help you keep a strong record of events and will also help you if you are planning on re-selling your car.
Do you need to service your car every year?
Although the question should I service my car every year is quite a frequent one that we get asked, the answer is that this will be highly dependent on what your manufacturer’s service instructions are.
What happens if you don’t service your car every year?
If you fail to have your car serviced regularly, you risk both car and road safety issues. For example, if you don’t send your car for a regular service, your technician will not be able to pick up minor issues, which have the potential of turning into major ones such as having a fault with your engine. These types of problems, which can be prevented quite easily, could end up being very costly over the long term owing to the possibility to pay for full replacement parts.
But in addition to this, you may also notice that your car is not performing as well as it used to. This could be a result of reduced engine efficiency, lower fuel efficiency and other issues, which can then decrease the average lifespan of your vehicle.
Why book a car service with us?
At the Motor Company – Leicester, we fully understand the importance of vehicle maintenance. In particular, regular or annual vehicle maintenance, which can take place through either an interim or a full service. We take our responsibility and customer service seriously as we strive to accommodate your schedule whilst offering you a highly professional car service. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us to find out how we can help you with your next car service in Leicester.